Saturday, August 31, 2013

The Project

This year while we were out visiting it was my mom's 60th birthday and we wanted to do something special for her.  She has always wanted a porch swing but their front porch is not quite big enough for that so we decided that we would build her a swing in the backyard.  My dad bought the plans and all of the materials and us kids all helped build it.  It was quite a project.  I helped my dad measure and cut all of the pieces before all of the big help arrived.  My brothers, Jason and Stuart, did most of the work.  I was just there to measure and supervise I guess.  It was a lot of fun to make and I think it turned out perfect.  I think my mom eats every meal outside on it now.
 
 
We had to did 2 big, deep holes for some huge posts.  The ground in our backyard used to be a river bed so it is full of rocks.  I must say that it was really funny watching these 4 grown men struggle with the post hole digger.  All of us girls were in the house just watching and laughing and hoping no one lost a limb.  After much rock removal they finally got the holes dug.
 
 
Putting the posts in.
 

 
Ian liked being out with the boys and helping.  I guess he likes power tools too.
 
 
Working on the bench.
 
 
The final product.  I think it really turned out nice and I know my mom will get a lot of use out of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment