Monday, August 27, 2012

Week 9: Lava lanps and Apple bars

This week we made lava lamps and apple bars.  The lava lamps turned out pretty neat.  Sadie played with it over and over and over again.  She just loves sticking the Alka Seltzer in and watching it bubble up.  I got the idea here.  I found it on Pinterest of course.  I just love Pinterest.  They were really easy to make and I learned the hard way that you shouldn't try to shake it up when you put in the food coloring to make it mix up.  I had to make it all over again.  It just got all foggy and would have taken forever to separate again.  The food coloring will eventually drop to the bottom.
 
 
We just used a regualar old water bottle.  The oil goes in first.
 
 
Then the water.
 
 
Then the food coloring.  Green was our second color.  She wanted purple the first time around and I couldn't get the food coloring to mix to purple, thus the shaking of the bottle to try to get it to turn purple.  Just use one color.  It works best.
 
 
She is all ready with that Alka Seltzer.
 
 
Here come the bubbles.
 
 
She just loved watching those bubbles.
 
 
You are only supposed to put in small pieces of the Alka Seltzer at a time but Sadie of course had to put the whole piece in because she likes it to really bubble.
 
 
 
We also made these really yummy apple bars.  I got the recipe here.  They were really easy and super good.  Sadie and Ian both loved them.
 

 
She is all ready to cook.
 
 
All mixed and ready to go in the oven.  I left the skin on the apples.  I think they tasted just fine with the skins on.
 
 
Fresh from the oven.
 

 
Yum! Yum!
 

 
We will definately make these again.

No comments:

Post a Comment