For a field trip this year for Sadie they had the opportunity to go to Austin to tour all of the state history stuff that they have been learning about in class. And I was able to go too!! I was so excited. I have always wanted to go to Austin and Noah always says I don't know enough about Texas state history. We had to be at the school by 6am. It was an early morning. Luckily it was a chartered bus that we took and not a yellow school bus. The kids got breakfast before we left and we all changed into our color group shirts. Our group was navy.
After about a 4 hour bus ride with a detour because the kid in front of us puked all over the place, we finally arrived in Austin. We had to hurry through the State Capitol Visitors Center to make it to our State Capitol tour on time. The State Capitol is really beautiful. We toured House of Representatives and the Senate Chambers. Our tour guide was the sweet older lady who knew all kinds of stories. There were also some really big paintings on the walls. I was so impressed by how good the kids were too. They were so respectful and truly wanted to hear all the information.
Learning inside the Visitors Center
Our group of kids.
The State Capitol.
Texas Senate Chamber
Texas House of Representatives Chamber
Walkway between parts of the State Capitol.
After our tour we tried to get a group picture in front of the Capitol Building.
After the Capitol we boarded the buses and ate our lunch as we traveled to the Texas State Cemetery. It was really beautiful. It was a little chilly outside but not too bad. At least the sun was out. The tour guide here had some awesome stories. The kids loved them. He would tell stories about old Texas Rangers and shooting people and stuff like that. What 4th grader doesn't like that. After he would tell a story he would ask the kids if they wanted to hear another gruesome story. Of course they all said yes. I could tell he loved the history and the stories he was telling. The kids would just sit quietly and listen.
Confederate graves
Tomb of Albert Sydney Johnston. He was a general in 3 different wars including the Texas War of Independence.
Stephen F. Austin
This is the shortest state highway in Texas. It runs through the cemetery.
After the Cemetery we headed to the Bullock State History Museum. As soon as we go there we watched this movie about the ship La Belle that sank. It was pretty cool. There was one point in the movie where there was a storm and smoke started coming out of the ground, there was lightning flashes, the chairs shook and then it sprinkled rain on us. Sadie loved the movie. She couldn't stop talking about how it rained on us inside a building. After that we split into groups and toured the building. They had one part where that had actually discovered the La Belle boat and had preserved it and were restoring it and putting it back together in the museum. I thought that was pretty cool. I like that kind of stuff.
The La Belle
Attempt at at group picture
After the museum we boarded the buses again and got our dinner and headed home. The dinner was not so great but the field trip sure was. It was a long bus ride home but it was so worth it. I had so much fun with Sadie and I can't wait until Ian is in 4th grade so I can go again.




























































No comments:
Post a Comment