Friday, July 29, 2011

The whole story

So I figure that while I still remember I would post about the whole baby experience. If you don't want all of the details don't keep reading. It really all started on May 11th when I was admitted for high blood pressure. I was hoping I wouldn't be on bedrest at the hospital for long but I was wrong. I ended up being there for 8 1/2 weeks. That is a really long time. Luckily somehow the time went by sort of fast. I had good days and bad days especially since I was away from my family. It was hard to not be there for Sadie and to help Noah do stuff. We were so blessed to have so many family members and friends who were willing to help us whether it was to watch Sadie during the day or bring meals or pack up our house when we moved. We received so much help I don't know how I will ever repay anyone for it. I don't know how we would have made it without them. I made it through those weeks though.


I had wonderful nurses at the hospital that were always fun to talk to. It is not often that you get to know your nurses that well. They were all so wonderful and I hope to continue to stay in contact with them. I will say however that hospital food gets old after awhile. The good thing is that you can get dessert with every meal and those were always good. Maybe not good for the waistline but they sure made me happy. Luckily a few times people brought me food from the real world and that was wonderful. Plus the nurses always had good snacks that they would bring me from their nutrition area.


Anyways, back to the story. After being told I would deliver at 36 weeks and then being told that the perinatologist thought that wasn't a good idea, my delivery got pushed back to 37 weeks. My OB doctor of course started the process as soon as he could because he wanted to be the one to deliver that baby. Finally on Thursday July 7th at 4pm, which happened to be mine and Noah's 10 year wedding anniversary, I packed up my hospital room and was moved to a delivery room. All the nurses clapped for me as I walked past them to the delivery room. They were just as excited as I was. They of course all wanted to be the nurse assigned to me that day. I am pretty sure they all popped their head in at one point or another. So at 4pm my nurse Heidi got me settled and gave me the first dose of the Cytotec stuff. I also had a much better IV experience this time. They used a numbing thing and I didn't even feel the IV go in. It was great. I also wasn't dialated or thinned out at all at that point. I figured I was in for a long night. They also started me on the Magnesium sulfate stuff to keep my blood pressure lower and started some fluids. That is horrible stuff. The first dose made me feel really hot. They brought in a fan to put on my face to keep me cool. Noah finally showed up after work around 8pm. They checked me to give me the second dose of Cytotec but I had dialated to a 2 and was 50%. At that point they decided to start the pitocin but I asked if I could get an epidural first. I knew it was going to really start hurting after the pitocin. The anesthesiologist came in pretty quickly and got that going. That of course dropped my blood pressure a ton but they were able to get it back up. After the epidural I was able to rest.

At around 10:20pm I felt something warm on me and I thought that my water had broken. I had the nurse come in and sure enough it had. They checked me and I still wasn't dialated anymore so now I really knew it would be a long night. My nurse by this point was Jen and she was very excited to be my nurse. Since she figured it would be a long night she went in to do a c-section later that night. At about 4:30am I really started to feel some pressure but I thought it was just my epidural wearing off so I had them come in and check me again. I was now a 9! My nurse Jen was still with the other patient but they thought it might still be awhile yet. Within 5 minutes I was really feeling it and they checked me again and I was 10! They rushed around to get everything ready. My doctor came in and said they better hurry we are about to have a baby. We had to wait on the nursury ladies to come. I pushed through 3 contractions and out he came. It was so easy. I didn't even tear at all. That is the way to go. He was also small so that helped but it was great. They weighed him and went to clean him up.

We decided on the name Ian because that is what he looked like and his middle name Barrett after my maiden name. I had to stay on the magnesium for 24 hours which was awful. I ended up feeling really sick and they wouldn't let me eat, so the combination of having gone so long without eating and feeling like you have the flu was a bad combination for me. They had to draw blood on my every few hours which was a nightmare. I felt like a pin cushion. I finally got something to help me sleep and after 24 hours I got to go to the post partum room and finally was able to go home.

We are now both heathly and well and we are so grateful for all the help that we received from our family and friends to make it through.

No comments:

Post a Comment